Wow this subject blew up when I wasn't looking.

I have worked at camps with camp names and without. I am a Jr. I grew up as "Rand" because my father went by "Randle." WHen I got my first job I started going by Randle, all through college and now my wife know me as Randle but to my familuy I am still Rand. At my first Camp I aquired the Camp name Dub. It is unusual in this debate because it was a Day Camp that even flowed into Afterschool programs. We were pretty open with parents what our real names were, when campers guessed we admitted it. The campers AND Parents CHOSE to call us by our camp names. THey saw the value and fun of having the different name. I have walked the aisles of the grocery store and heard "Dub!" at the top of a camper's lungs. It is fun and when the real name is open though slightly concieled it is harmless. No one has offerd a compelling argument otherwise.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Adam:
If somebody wants to know your real name then I think they should be entitled to that.

And really, that's what those of us who don't like camp names have been saying all along for the most part.
Then we are almost all in agreement. I have read all of the posts here. (Man do I need to get back to work) In most instances the counselors with camp names say they tell campers at the end of the session. In one instance a poster said they don't tell at the end of the session but will post camp if a camper asks by mail or e-mail.

THey have all said that they DO share their names with campers. It is not an "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you." type of thing at a vast majority of camps.

I do understand the passion of those who feel it is lying and decieving to the campers, however I have seen first hand (as I've been at both camps that have camp names and those who do not) THere is no lack of trust. A bad counselor who can't connect is still a bad counselor who can't connect. And a great counselor could be called Weasel and still be much beloved.

Quote:
Boomis Said: but if you live with somebody for any period of time they'll figure out you are as human as anybody. Which is as it should be, no?
THis is true and it does not matter what they call you they still develop that bond and after finding out the name on your birth certificate they still WANT to call you by that camp name.

Early on Canuck argued that Carnige was right when he said that names have power and he is right. Campers love it when you see them in the off season and you know them by name. Their eyes light up. Knowing someone's name is powerful but that does not mean that having a fun name that you are known by at camp is a falsehood. It is simply the name that is connected with the work you do at camp.

Great convo ya'll. I am sorry to see some people are hurt in this but it does show the passion with wich we all see the work we do and I commed you all on your passion.