I've used three radio types at camps (CB, the newer open-frequency that you get at camping stores and UHF/VHF). When folks speak of Motorola etc. they're usually talking VHF/UHF. These frequencies require an FCC lisence (a process that includes going through a radio coordinator to make sure you don't overlap in use with some other company; a common problem in more urban areas). You can get both hand-held radios and base stations in these frequencies. Base stations can have much greater power, especially when matched with a more powerful antanae. If your site is really hilly, large and wooded you can also install repeaters to stretch your reach further though I've never seen this myself. Setting up decent base units in the office & manager's house with smaller base units in other key spots such as staff lounge, kitchen, nurse's station, etc and hand held units for key staff and remote program areas can be incredibly reassuring, though will cost a fair amount. JAN Communication in NJ deals with multiple companies and I think runs a summer camp rental program (800-444-7233).
Hope this helps;
Phill