I agree completely with EpicEngima. It is a lot harder at a day camp to have both traditions and respect on all ends.

Staff: Resident camp truly allows for that bond. And to be honest, sometimes, I think it is really hard for that same strength to be present during day camp. However, I would have a lot more team building activities. Also, I would try to set up some over-night actitivites or events, if possible. Go camping as a group, sleep over in one of the houses, go to dinner and stay over somewhere to sleep, backpack, etc. Anything for them to spend the night together and bond and see each other more. Possibily, extending pre-camp would work well for that. It would allow a greater length of time. I knew personally that by the length of ONE WEEK for RESIDENT camp we were not compeltely bonded.

Campers: If the staff push the traditions, the campers will too. Make it imperative to the staff that they do the traditions, etc. As well as the parents, just make sure you tell them many times the importance of the acitivites, etc.