#113184 04/30/10 07:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Originally Posted By: Rosethorn

I remember slap bracelets! After a while we weren't allowed to have them at school because we would hit each other with them.

They were really popular when I was at primary school (prob a good ten years before you had them rosethorn - eeek that makes me sound OLD!)

#113187 04/30/10 08:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just had the usual, marbles, Pogs, Pokemon.... :P

#113188 04/30/10 09:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pokemon - didnt exist when I was at primary school - we did have pogs and yoyos, marbles werent really in!

#113192 04/30/10 10:26 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
I'm with Munchy- pogs, yo-yos, pokemon, etc. Slap bracelets were around and still liked, (though probably banned from schools) but not as popular as they were.

HAHA, flower! Awesome story.

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pogs and yoyos when I was in about 1st or 2nd grade, then Animorphs, Harry Potter, Pokemon, and Beanie Babies hit about 3rd or 4th grade.

#113195 04/30/10 11:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We had some pogs in later grade school. Pokemon started around 7th grade or so, I think. I don't remember much about the others!

Oh, by the way, have you guys done the online training yet? The first section focuses on how to talk to parents and kids on the first day, and centers around a Korean family. The daughter is named Mi-chin. Well, "michin" is a word I learned from my Korean students... It means "crazy," with extremely negative connotations. That's like... naming your child "Psycho."

Fun fact of the day! \:\)

#113196 05/01/10 12:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ahahaha! That's hysterical. Oh man...
Are they the same as the online trainings we had to do last year?

#113198 05/01/10 12:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We had pogs... till someone hit my principal with a slammer.
we had slap bracelets... till my principal decided we might accidentally slit our wrists with them.
We just started selling Twilight slap bracelets at Borders and one of my managers and I about had a heart attack (even though we're not really Twilighters at all)
They also just started reprinting the Babysitters Club books and my manager started cussing in a good way when I showed them to her. Customers were staring at us. It was pretty funny.
If you haven't seen silly bands yet... just wait. I'd recommend running into a fivebelow and getting yourself like five packs for bribes over the summer (there are 12 in each pack) we used to give them to my kids as treats... otherwise known as bribes. Behave and I'll give you that silly band shaped like a duck you've been missing. Three of my girls had them on both arms up to their elbows every day. and they're basically just rubber bands that retain their shape lol.

#113207 05/01/10 08:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'll keep an eye out for those silly bands! They sound fun. \:\)

Rosethorn, I don't know if it's the same online training as last year... I didn't do it last year, being in Korea. \:\)

Today's the first working day of the year at the barn! Let's hope the rain passes us over for the rest of the weekend!

#113208 05/01/10 09:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ah, Baby Sitters Club. I was really into that. I never really got over Pokemon, I'm still into it, even though I'm now in my early 20s. Harry Potter didn't really start becoming popular until I was in early high school.

What online training?

#113214 05/01/10 06:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, yeah...I forgot you weren't at camp last year, Indigo.
Munchy, there are three little videos you have to watch online before camp starts. It will be explained in your staff packet. They are easy. If it's the same stuff we did last year.
Those sillybandz do sound like a lot of fun. Bribery for campers = very yes. Too bad my girls will be too old for that sort of thing.

#113216 05/01/10 07:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My sister loved baby sitters club and harry potter wasnt even a thought in JK rowlings head when i was a school - infact she was prob still at school - givent that she isnt much older than me

#113222 05/01/10 11:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rosethorn: You think the CITs will be too old for fun, colorful adornments? Perhaps they're not the group I took them for, then! I know a lot of the WITs would probably love them!

#113227 05/02/10 01:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know this has nothing to do with anything but since this is the closest to a thread dedicated to GS camp! I have to say it!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE THIN MINTS!!!!!!!!!! That makes me very happy!

#113228 05/02/10 06:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OMG I found a box of them in my freezer the other day. And they were mine. I had forgotten about them. Best. Discovery. Ever.
And, Indigo, I feel you're probably correct. The CITs would probably love colorful adornments. I think I might order a couple bags of those sillybandz things. Do they retail them, or do you have to get them online, I wonder?

#113231 05/02/10 07:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am gonna stick half a box in the freezer!!!!!!!! They are great frozen! How I love and miss thin mints!

#113232 05/02/10 11:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I LOVE Thin Mints, especially frozen ones! Mmm... So delicious...

I found Silly Bandz online, and I haven't seen them in stores, but I haven't been looking (or actually visited any stores that might sell them lately).

#113233 05/02/10 11:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was only introdoced to them frozen my last summer at chenoa - have some in the freezer now though!

#113238 05/03/10 04:59 AM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
oh my goodness!! I miss CF candy and GS cookies!!!!! I really wish I'd opened the box of almond caramel clusters that my parents had sitting in the downstairs pantry. Cool thing is I bet they will still be there in 6 weeks, so all is well!

Sillybandz do sound like an excellent bribe! Especially for the elementary aged girls and the CITs! ;\) \:D

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I checked it out, and apparently you can only get them online and in small specialty stores. They don't carry them at Toys R Us or anywhere like that. I wonder if they'd have them at Lagoona Magoo? I'll have to check next time I go to the Mills. Indigo, we should just have Vince get a bunch of them wholesale so we can sell them in the trading post. It would be brilliant, and would probably pay for our banquet lol.

#113245 05/03/10 12:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can get them at Borders, my store just started selling them. You can also get them at Five Below or other dollar stores that are five dollars and below (you more than likely wont be able to find them at like... everythings a dollar since they retail for 2.99, 5.99, or 10.99 depending on the size of the pack) You can also get them at Hallmark oryou can even get them at 711 around here... However, if they haven't caught on with the kids where you live yet then they might not be everywhere like they are here. Also, my 12 year old cousin loves silly bands. My 9 year old third graders loved them, and yesterday I saw a five year old drag her father over to the display and demand the princess pack (thankfully her father told her she had too much tude so she wasn't getting anything) I personally enjoy them, as silly as they are, because they come in lots of bright colors. I usually where three or four of them that compliment my outfit and whenever kids see them on me they automatically have something to talk to me about (Oh look! you have the flamingo! I have a dragon! Isn't it cool!) so I don't see why older girls wouldn't like them, if nothing else they are very pretty colored bracelets and some of them even glow in the dark \:\)

p.s. I really want some thin mints now, sadly, cookie time is over... \:\(

#113246 05/03/10 12:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry heather - but at least you can get them next year - unless you are working at GS camp and then you will prob have them at camp - I have to get kind friends to ship mine over to me \:\)

#113249 05/03/10 01:25 PM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
I had a Thin Mint last night... ;\)

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I had one this morning \:\) I have one unopened packet which iam gonna save - i have half a packet in the kitchen and a half a packet in the freezer - trying to ration them to make them last!

#113252 05/03/10 02:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hear you can order them online... which I might have to look into... \:\)

Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard