Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#29565 05/21/04 06:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sigh. A song against racism, banned because it talks about racism... just like One Tin Soldier, a song about peace, being banned because it contains violence...

#29566 05/21/04 09:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My very favorite camp song was banned when i was in like 5th grade (i'm in 9th now) It's called the pink pajama song see if you all no it

I wear my pink pajamas in the summer when it's hot,
And i wear my flannel undies in the winter when its not,
but sometimes in the early spring and sometimes in the fall i jump into the sheets with nothing on at all.

And it goes on. i know that some parents complained and i can see why but it really stincks when they ban your favorite traditon

#29567 05/21/04 09:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My very favorite camp song was banned when i was in like 5th grade (i'm in 9th now) It's called the pink pajama song see if you all no it

I wear my pink pajamas in the summer when it's hot,
And i wear my flannel undies in the winter when its not,
but sometimes in the early spring and sometimes in the fall i jump into the sheets with nothing on at all.

And it goes on. i know that some parents complained and i can see why but it really stincks when they ban your favorite traditon

#29568 05/22/04 12:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I didn't know that baby shark was on the ban list when we had one but i guess i learn something new everyday. I do know that the
frog song was and the buffalo song and pink pjs and pretty much every song it seemed like and the ones that weren't were sung so much they should have been , i am happy that they can't really ban those songs and that we can still sing them \:\)

#29569 05/26/04 02:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are a couple of songs that I know of that are banned from my camp. There's one grace, the Johnny Appleseed grace that's banned because it supposedly causes rain, but we still do it occasionally to tease other campers. THe only other song that I know of is "I wish I was a fascinating lady" that I learned "accidentally" when I was 9 by listening in on my counselors conversation

#29570 06/07/04 03:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by quirky63614:
There are a couple of songs that I know of that are banned from my camp. There's one grace, the Johnny Appleseed grace that's banned because it supposedly causes rain, but we still do it occasionally to tease other campers. THe only other song that I know of is "I wish I was a fascinating lady" that I learned "accidentally" when I was 9 by listening in on my counselors conversation
If we need rain though, the song ban is "lifted" for Johnny.

And Quirky---what is this "fascinating lady" song? You'll have to sing it for me, I dunno what you're talking about!

#29571 06/07/04 03:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Hayfever95:

Rainbow Made of Children... something about the whole "I was taught that black was evil, I was taught that white was good" lyric.. in case anyone was wondering... heres the whole song at least as i remember it...

Chorus
Yeah, I refused to ban that song. We sang it on old side all of the time! I heard it at a camp fire the one year banning was so bad that we had a "banned songs theme" for a closing fire... I immediately fell in love with it! And the froggy song? Whelll, we sang that all the time too, only Spider was kinda um... paraniod about that and would tell the kids off over additionall lyrics like "pop in the microwave" and such... she did that before dinner once...to all of old side....oh dear.

#29572 07/18/04 03:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets see...
--One Tin Soldier
--Georgie
--Dunderbeck
--Boy and a girl in a little canoe
--Bunny Wunny
--dead moose
--weiner man
--pick a bale of hay
--the salad canoe verse of the K.A. song
--the second verse of the intern song

#29573 07/26/04 08:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This wasn't a song, but rather a "cheer" and I can't recall the last time it was even used in the dinning room. I think it may get tauted out once a summer for nostalgia purposes!

One person: 3 claps on 3 "1 -2 -3" (clap clap clap)
Two more - (clap clap)
and one - (clap)
All of boys side: BUSH!

I'm surprised it lasted this long!

#29574 02/05/05 08:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
bump!

da moose song is pretty much banned at my camp (da moose, floating in the water, not eating his supper, but where did he go?, he decomposed). a lot of the dancing songs are for the most part banned (little sally walker, jig-a-lo). the buffalo song, too. we still sometimes sing them if they are requested, but i think they are slowing trying to get rid of them.

songs about things dying or explictly talking about sexual subjects, i believe, are ok to not sing. however, songs that might be sexual, or are questionably anything, should be kept (like little sally walker). seriously, most of the kids are too little to think like that...and anything can really be seen in a bad way if one was to try hard enough.

#29575 02/10/05 06:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow i guess my camp just really doesnt care at all! we aparently have some really naughty songs that seem to be a-ok at our camp. most of the girls cheers bash the boys and most of the boys cheers are sexual. ..most of the girls cheers are sexual too lol. no one has ever seemed to care. but most people dont learn these cheers until like maybe 6th grade? the little kids have much more appropriate cheers.. i think?

this is by far our worst.... (6th- 8th graders)

We are juvenille delinquents
We roam the streets from 2 to 4 AM
We smoke with the sailors
And we drink with the bums
We wait on the corner til the pick up comes
Cause we are juvenille delinquents
We never go to bed alone
Move over Harry
The zippers on the other side (250 please)
The customer is always right (say it again)
The customer is always right
WE GIVE (clap clap)
GREAT SEX (clap clap)
WERE A BUNCH OF HORNY PEOPLE!

heres another:
boom boom were proud to be unit 3
boom boom dont you think were sexy
arent you arent you arent you

boom boom we never do what were told
boom boom we think were too damn old

we stay up late at night
you know whats on our minds SEX
hanging in teen village
away from our own kind THEYRE LOSERS

boom boom dont you think were sexy

theres another song thats something like:
unit 3 girls are filled to the brim
weve got vitality of vodka and gin
yip yip yip yip vodka and gin
yip yip yip yip vodka and gin

and then i know another verse is something about 'our units better cause we make out the best' dont remember all the words its been years since i was a camper and i work in the younger units.

oh i love camp! haha

#29576 02/10/05 01:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow, i can't believe your camp allows that to be a cheer that the kids do!

#29577 02/10/05 07:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
never, ever would i allow anyone to sing that song at my camp.

do the parents know you sing that? i find it hard to believe that parents would be ok with...

#29578 02/11/05 03:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
honestly its all in good fun. the staff doesnt mind, the kids obviously dont either. it doesnt promote that kind of behavior its just jokingly. our campers are very well behaved.. as for their parents.. well i'm not really sure. mine knew but obviously didnt care. im sure some know some dont. the only kids that sing these cheers are older campers.

having said, i find it kind of ridiculous to ban songs and cheers. camp is about having fun, joking and laughing. if you honestly think your campers don't talk about these things anyway then youre crazy. listen to the music blasting in their cabins and at the socials. dont they ask you crazy inapropriate questions that you refuse to answer? of course they do, and then they ask their friends. theyre teenagers, theyre crazy, these things are on their minds and most of all.. they are at camp, theyre allowed to have fun. some of my favorite memories as a camper are from sing these ridiculous songs. singing a silly song is hardly harmful. in my honorable (liberal) opinion

#29579 02/11/05 05:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ummm, last summer my campers were 6th graders and they didn't talk about being "juvenile delinqents" and "sleeping with a different person every night." that's pushing it...some kids that age probably don't even know what "horny" means...it doesn't make your campers feel uncomfortable when they sing that? and what happens when they go home and sing those songs to their parents? i can't see that happening and going over very well.

#29580 02/11/05 09:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't believe that song or cheer or whatever it is real, nor would I believe any responsible director would every allow that.

#29581 02/12/05 12:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
believe it or not theyre some of our cheers. no ones ever seen it as a big deal, but if you are so offended.. if you like i can delete the posts.

i really am sorry if it offends you and i swear my camp is credible and wonderful. ive been to several camps over the years and id say this one is virtually problem free. but like i said, if you really are offended i can delete the post- but it is a real cheer.

#29582 02/12/05 06:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
haha no whostolemyloofa it's fine that cheer just has some shock value that i can't see ever being allowed...but hey every camp is different, so props to yours for being so open!

#29583 02/13/05 12:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no worries--really---no need to delete the post....it's all good

#29584 04/06/06 12:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I loved reading all of your banned songs and not so banned songs! I absolutely love 4-H summer camp, proven by the fact that this will be my 37th straight year attending, We go to Marin County's 4-H Summer Camp at Las Posadas State Forest in Angwin California. OK so I have dated myself, but oh well. Therefore, as you can see I too do not like change! We have not really had to ban any songs yet, although we did have to eliminate “butt writing” for a few years, as someone did get a bit offended. For those of you who do not know what butt writing is, a camper (*preferably a staff member) stands with their back to the group and has to spell a word using their bottom. This is usually "punishment” for something serious like forgetting to wear your nametag! The one song that the kids just love I have been expecting to be banned for years but has no happened yet!
Oh Lord Chester
Oh Lord Chester, please do not touch me.
Oh Lord Chester, please do not touch me,
Oh Lord Chester, please do not touch me,
As I lie beneath the burning white sheets with nothing on at all!

The song continues on, each time leaving off one word. By the end of the song, the kids are screaming Oh Lord Chester Please do….
Followed by Oh Lord…

Then of course Oh!

Half of the kids have no idea why this is such a favorite song or really what it implies, but they are caught up in the craziness of the older kids.

Makes me laugh every time!

We have had to revise how we play Chubby Bunny due to reports of kids choking and actually dying because of cramming too many marshmallows into their mouths. We only allow the adults to play this game, oh boy!

Thanks for sharing your stores. Eileen
:p

#29585 04/06/06 01:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by sparklelicious:

The only songs I know they have banned at my camp is this one song, I'm not sure what it's called but it talks about beating up the devil. The other one I remember is brown squirel (since shove a peanut up your nose is kinda too violent or some reason like that).
Does the one that talks about beating up the devil go like this?:

"If I had a little white box to put my Jesus in
I'd take Him out and *kiss* *kiss* *kiss*
And share Him with a friend.

But if I had a little black box to put the devil in
I'd take him out and *SMASH HIS FACE*
And put him back again."

If so, we sing that all the time at my camp, everyone thinks its a lot of fun.

#29586 04/06/06 01:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh my! We sing:
If I had a little red box,
to put all the campers in,
I'd take them out,
and (bam bam bam hitting fists in tables),
and put them right back again
followed by:
around the water tank you must go, you must go, you must go, around the water tank you must go, you were naughty (to the tune of London Bridge is Falling Down)
We have a water tank up on a small hill above our dining hall that they then need to go around. This is used for someone putting their elbows on the table as well:

Joe, Joe strong and able,
get your elbows off the table,
this is not a horse's stable,
but a decent dining table,
around the water tank you must go.......

In the little red box song, "the campers" is subistuted with "the boys", or " the girls", or "the staff" and my worst one to hear "the adults".

Guess you can figure out I am an adult!

#29587 04/06/06 02:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We can still sing this one, although I am sure somewhere down the line it may ruffle someone's religious feathers!

This is a repeat after me song:
Oh you can't get to heaven,
On roller skates,
Cuz you'll roll right through,
Those pearly gates

Oh, you can't get to heaven,
In a Kleenex Box,
Cuz the Lord don't want,
No little snots

In a hula skirt,
Cuz the Lord aint got,
No time to flirt

In Mike's old car (Insert the camp director's name here)
Cuz Mike's old car,
Stops at every bar

Oh you can't get to heaven
On a pair of skis,
Cuz you'll slide right through,
St. Peter's knees

Oh if you get to heaven,
Before I do,
Just cut a hole,
And pull me through

Oh if I get to heaven,
Before you do,
I'll cut a hole,
And spit on you!

I know this is an old song that has been around for years; does anyone else have any verses to add?

#29588 04/06/06 07:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
we do the oh you'll never get to heaven song..

one of the brits years ago did it and whenever the counselors would sing it we would all do her british accent..

and the mountaineering club i joined in ireland does the chester song on the bus... but its more funny when you have 18-24 year olds doing the song ;\)
but never at camp would i do that one..

#29589 04/07/06 10:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When I was at Girl Scout camp as a camper in the eighties, we sang Ms. Effie and Screwball ("old screwball was a racehorse.....he always drank wine")

As a counselor at a Private traditional camp, they had banned Titanic, the Russian song, and superman grace(because it was reverent or something). My family does the family camp program now and we sing Just a Boy and a Girl, the Beaver Song, Buffalo song, and Bazooka.

Back in the day, if I heard a song on the radio at camp that wasn't appropriate we would just say TNC (That's not camp) to let whoever know it wasn't cool.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard