Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#29590 04/07/06 12:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone still sing Shaving Cream? This one is always big hit, especially with the 9-12 year old boys!

My father, he works in the sewer,
He works everyday in the grit, grit, grit,
And when he comes home in the evening,
He face is all covered with
Shhhhhhaving cream

(Chorus)
Shave everyday and you'll always be clean,
"Shave everyday with shaving cream

The baby fell out of the window,
We though he was going to hit, hit, hit.
But fortunately for the baby,
He fell in a bucket of,
Shhhhhhaving cream

(Chorus)

My grandmother died in the bathtub,
She died form a terrible fit, fit, fit,
According to her last wishes,
She wished to be buried in,
Shhhhhhaving cream

(Chorus)

#29591 04/07/06 09:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Titanic song has been banned at my camp... cause ya know, it's a really upbeat song, about the deaths on the Titanic the chorus goes like this:
"Oh, it was sad__ (oh, it was sad),
Oh, it was sad__ (oh, it was sad),
It was sad when the great ship went down to the bottom of the sea__
(Husbands and wives, little children lost their lives)
It was sad when the great ship went down."
So I'm pretty ok with having banned this song, I'm the director this year and I plan on enforcing it.

#29592 04/07/06 11:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We don't really ban songs that i'm aware of. We'll sometimes... limit... songs during certain sessions if they are over sung but if the girls really want to sing it we'll do it.

#29593 04/09/06 11:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are quite a few songs that are banned at my camp, but I don't know what all of them are. The "Three Little Indians" song was, "Buffalo" was for a little while, and a couple graces were banned.

Honestly, I really wish people would stop blaming every song ban on people being "oversensitive." Banning a song because it teaches kids stereotypes is -not- "oversensitive." I don't really care if it's "tradition" or "just a song," those things have no place in an environment which is supposed to be diverse.

#29594 04/10/06 01:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
we don't do graces anymore. which makes me sad because they were definitely a comforting tradition. and a fun tradition, too. now we do "meal appreciation," which are quotes from poems and songs and what not. they didn't really go over well last year. maybe i'll protest. "WE WANT GRACES! BRING BACK JOHNNY APPLESEED! AND THE ADDAMS FAMILY GRACE!"

#29595 04/10/06 05:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We still do Johnny Appleseed, both verses! hey, what is the Adamm's Family grace? I'm always looking for new ones! So far, we can still do grace! Thanks, Eileen

#29596 04/11/06 05:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wishy washy washer woman, hambone, Gigalo game, and one of the verses of Spiders web are banned at my camp

#29597 04/15/06 04:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
at my camp there are a lot of songs that we cant sing. we banned hooka tooka because people read to far into it and came to the conclusion that it makes too many innapropriate references. we banned the last verse to ole' ola because people claim she commited suicide. we cahnged the boy and a girl in a little canoe song so that the girl ends up getting out and swimming. we cant sing the second half to the donut song. and there are a bunch of songs that are unoffically banned for short peroids of time just because they get annoying. we also changed a lot of the prayers so that instaed of saying lord we say world ("we thank you lord for giving us food" is now "we thank you world for giving us food") which doesnt really make sence to me because as someone said earlier if the type of camp values religion then there shouldnt be an issue and it is a girl scout camp. i cant think of any others though.

#29598 04/15/06 06:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girl Scouts promotes spiritual values, not religion, and saying "Lord" is religion-specific... but I'm repeating myself here, so...

I'm curious, what's your last verse to "O-le O-la" (we call it "Suitors")? I've heard a bunch of different versions. Oh, and what's your second verse to the doughnut song?

#29599 04/19/06 03:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I remember when I was studying for my CIT test (reading over the staff manual) and found page 103: "...council cannot ban songs." Ah... my group sang every banned song at the top of our lungs in the showerhouse that night. Good memories. Anyway, Hayfever already covered some, and most of them are the same as others':
Titanic, Pink pajamas, Buffalo Song (although not so much anymore), Green Frog (just the 2nd verse, though, again, not so much anymore...)... I can't think of any more.
OK, I lied: Rainbow Made of Children, Suitors, Rose, My Little Pony (I miss Ape), mm-Plucky-Plucky.
Of course, these songs are still in my CIT ntoebook and I plan on teaching them to the CITs thisyear, just to keep them alive.

#29600 04/19/06 11:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One we don't sing during teen week is 'big white pony' just because it has actions in it and some of the teens tend to make them inapropriate actions.

#29601 04/24/06 03:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We don't really have any banned songs now. Sometimes we'll change lyrics like in "The Other Day I met a Bear" we changed 'Aint got any gun' to 'Aint havin any fun' We had a bad director a few years back who banned a ton of songs for dumb reasons (This woman banned the Tajar Tales) Now though we don't have any really banned songs, were just encouraged to use good judgement.

#29602 05/19/06 05:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We had a huge song banning rampage at one of the camps I worked at 10 years ago, then things settled down for a while, and it seems they are back on a rampage. Songs which have been banned or altered at my camps include:

Titanic
Rainbow Children
One Tin Soldier
A boy and a girl in a little canoe
Louise (the elephant song)
Ann Marie and John Pierre
Dona, Dona
Georgie
I love little Willy
C-H-I-C-K-E-N (the second verse only)
The billboard song
Grandma's in the Cellar
Misty Song (because it makes kids homesick)
Ezekial
Father Abraham
Singing in the Rain
The Zulu King
Wishy Washy Washerwoman
The Buffalo and his Brother
O'Leary

I'm sure there are at least a dozen more, but that's all I could think of.

#29603 07/14/06 02:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
wishy washy washer woman, hambone, Gigalo game, and one of the verses of Spiders web are banned at my camp
does the spiders web go like:

its a web like a spiders web
make of silk and light and shadow
spun by the moon in my room at night

i cant really remember all of it...havent been to camp yet this summer...im finally a CIT, cant wait...

about the reigndeer flying sideways, and the turtle floating, ours goes like this:

my froggy is pur-ple
your froggy is UG-LY GREEN!
my froggy is pur-ple
your froggy is DEAD! HA!

my froggy eats pancakes
your froggy eats CORN MEAL MUSH!
my froggy is pur-ple,
your froggy's still DEAD! HA!

we dont ban songs much, only if they're oversung...

the adams family grace:
we thank the earth(lord) for giving
the food we need for living
the air we need for breathing,
the earth(lord) is good to me.

a-men! *snap snap*
a-men! *snap snap*
a-men! a-men! a-men! *snap snap*

#29604 07/23/06 12:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I remember doing a version of the shark song which says...

"Baby shark...(all the way till you lose every limb)..."
after you lost each limb...

"Six Feet Under. Doo doo Doo doo
Six Feet Under. Doo doo Doo doo"
(while doing this you bounce happily like you are a corpse in a casket).

"Worms and Magots. Doo doo Doo doo
Worms and Magots. Doo doo Doo doo"
(while singing this you do jazz hands up and down your face to mimic worms and magots on your face--Graphic Egh ).

#29605 07/28/06 03:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
we can't sing johnny appleseed anymore for grace cuz at the end we say yeehaw instead of amen.

#29606 07/31/06 10:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At my camp, we do:

Shaving Cream
Little Green Frog (all the verses)
Three Jolly Fishermen (Amsterdam)
Pink Pajamas
Baby Shark

#29607 07/31/06 10:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At my camp, we do:

Shaving Cream
Little Green Frog (all the verses)
Three Jolly Fishermen (Amsterdam)
Pink Pajamas
Baby Shark

but we never sing them for parent programs.

#29608 08/11/06 09:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We used to have a lot of songs banned but when the new director came most all the bans were lifted. The only two we really don't sing are Desperado and She sat on her Veranda (Um Plucka Plucka).

#29609 08/21/06 05:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is Father Abraham banned at so many camps?

#29610 08/21/06 05:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by DVfever01:
Why is Father Abraham banned at so many camps?
good question. I know why we have banned Oh Lord Chester, but only when the kids are around. Father Abraham isn't bad at all.

#29611 08/22/06 12:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, because Father Abraham is religious, and many of us work at non-religious camps. Perhaps people used to sing it at the camp without really thinking about it--and sometimes people who've worked at other kinds of camps bring such songs over, not understanding that it isn't appropriate in that setting. Hence, a "ban".

#29612 08/22/06 09:14 AM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
Father Abraham wasn't banned at my camp. In fact we sang it quite a bit, and we are a Girl Scout camp.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any songs that are banned...

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
#29613 08/22/06 12:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
when we were told that Father Abraham was not to be sung due to its religious connotation, we found out that it was because of the line, "So let's all praise the Lord". So then we changed the line to "So let's all go like this!"

Problem solved!

#29614 08/22/06 12:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Let's all praise the Lord" is the blatant part, for sure, but "Father Abraham" is still religious (Abraham fathered the seven tribes--he's part of the Jewish, Christian, and Islamic tradition).

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard