Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#48594 12/20/04 03:37 AM
C
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
C
Canuck, is that your real name? You appear to have a penchant for wanting to be taken seriously. You seem to like to dispense advice. Should we trust you enough to take you seriously and listen to you if you go by a name that isn't your own on this board?

Camp is not a place; it is a way of life.
#48595 12/20/04 03:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by CampDirector:
Canuck, is that your real name? You appear to have a penchant for wanting to be taken seriously. You seem to like to dispense advice. Should we trust you enough to take you seriously and listen to you if you go by a name that isn't your own on this board?
This is an ANONYMOUS message board. If you're going to make an argument, make one that at least has a some logic to it. Yes, Canuck is not Canuck's real name...does that make my opinion that camp names are wrong illegitimate? Not really, b/c there is no causal link between anonymous message boards and camp relations.

#48596 12/20/04 06:12 AM
C
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
C
I was using your logic, Canuck. You posted, "If a kid is having trouble and would like to talk about it, wouldn't it be right for them to know who you really are; not sugar plum fairy or Ursula?" and "Suppose a kid has problems at home and wants to talk with you abou it: is that the time for her to be talking to Sarah her counselor or to Snow White?" Often people DO come to this board with a problem about which they would like feedback...

I have question for you... you also posted, "Dale Carnegie, one of the foremost experts on human behaviour, wrote a whole chapter of his book on how one's name is that most important word to them. It is crucial for us to use names when we are dealing with people. However, it seems like camps ignore this in favour of tradition?" When a woman marries, is it a good idea for her to trade her maiden name for her husband's last name? If she opts to change her name, are we ignoring who that woman was, "in favour of tradition?"

To answer your questions, lots of children and staff are far more comfortable coming to me as camp director when they need help, than they would be if they addressed me by my name outside of camp. For years kids were willing to relate to me on a camp level (including use of my camp name) in a way that they would not relate to me in the classroom. At camp they could use my camp name; in the classroom they had to revert to more formal address. For those children, that camp name was helpful.

It has been my experience that camp names are fun for kids. Our practice is to tell kids our names at the end of the session, if they ask. Because I'm the director, kids and parents know my real name- it's in the camp brochure, in the parent handbook, etc. For some reason or other (and I don't know the reason) they still address me by my camp name. That's just something they associate with camp, and they enjoy doing it. :-)

Camp is not a place; it is a way of life.
#48597 12/20/04 11:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have felt that camp names are fine. I though believe that if a camper or parent asks for your real name then you should give it. What is the harm in saying I go by JumpinJeehosephat at camp and that's what I'll answer to and outside of camp my real name is Gonzo and that's what I'll answer to then. Really, what is the harm in doing that?

Traditions are fine. Yes there have and are harmful traditions out there. Yes, some traditions are cultural based or society based and if you are not part of them then you may believe it's wrong. I mean there are cultures that say the men all have the final say and the women only take care of the family. I may not believe that's right but I did not grow up in that tradition.

Traditions ..... another topic to go into...

#48598 12/20/04 01:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by CampDirector:
Often people DO come to this board with a problem about which they would like feedback...
I am finding your strategy here extremely annoying and childish. You are picking periphery points of our argument and proceeding to attack them. Furthermore, you are simply providing examples of other areas in society where these fake names are used; and using that fact as proving that camp names are good. WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME WHY CAMP NAMES ARE GOOD INSTEAD OF SPEWING THIS OTHER STUFF?

Anyways, this board is an anonymous message board. I would never come here with a serious problem looking for advice which I will make major decisions on. I may ask for advice and weigh the options, but never in the same way as a true camper/counselor relationship. There actually was once a time when I was looking for some serious advice, and I PM'd CD; and ya wanna know what? We used our real names. **GASP**

Quote:
I have question for you... you also posted, "Dale Carnegie, one of the foremost experts on human behaviour, wrote a whole chapter of his book on how one's name is that most important word to them. It is crucial for us to use names when we are dealing with people. However, it seems like camps ignore this in favour of tradition?" When a woman marries, is it a good idea for her to trade her maiden name for her husband's last name? If she opts to change her name, are we ignoring who that woman was, "in favour of tradition?"
That woman is ACTUALLY CHANGING HER NAME. If a camp counselor were to legally change her name to Professor Dumbledore, and that's what she's called at home and camp, then I wouldn't see much of a problem Furthermore, she is not hiding her maiden name. Do me a favour, go up to five married women and ask them what their maiden name was; if any of them refuse to tell you, then I'll further consider this example.

Quote:
At camp they could use my camp name; in the classroom they had to revert to more formal address. For those children, that camp name was helpful.
That's just because school tradition is to say Mr/Mrs, there's no reason why you couldn't let your campers use your real name.

#48599 12/20/04 01:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CampDirector, I'm going to actually assume that you are a camp director and therefor likely consult a slate of professionals on a regular basis. I'd encourage you to discuss this issue with a psychologist or social worker. I happen to be related to one and wanted to know if I was overreacting on this one. She concurred and thought that the practice of using "camp names" was a really bad and potentially damaging practice. So please discuss this with a professional (that is unbiased) that you consult. Present it in a balanced way (don't minimize it).

As for the "it's a tradition" and "traditions can't be bad" stuff, that is such a bad mentality. Some camps have a tradition of initiation with hazing. Is that okay, though, because they've been doing it forever? Some camps have an extremely competitive tradition where they berate campers for losing. Is that okay? Traditions, on their own, are not a reason to keep doing somethings. They should regularly be reevaluated.

#48600 12/20/04 01:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to say I'm a bit surprised at all the controversy surrounding camp names. Lol. I work at Girl Scout camp, and never have attended camp where there aren't camp names. I am myself, through and through - it doesn't matter what the kids call me. They can call me Fluke, they can call me Sarah. They regularly call me Flukie or Flukina. I'll answer to any of those. I have a lot of campers that call me Fluke at camp and Sarah outside of camp. That's cool too. At camp, it's slightly less likely that I'll answer to Sarah because generally there are 3-4 of us on staff. It's a bit confusing to know who they are talking too! (As a camper, I was in a unit with 3 other Sarahs - we ended using nicknames the whole week to avoid that problem!)

I've never "refused" to tell a camper my name, nor am I forbidden. I introduce myself to parents as Fluke, and explain that at camp we use nicknames - but that my real name is Sarah and offer to answer any questions that they might have. I have yet to have a camper demand to know my real name - most of mine seem to have a good time trying to come up with what they think your name is by using clues from other campers or staff. At the end of the week, they generally present their "evidence". Returning campers help newbies figure out names. The older campers often talk about how to pick the perfect camp name - one that fits their personality and who they are.

I never have thought of using a camp name to take on a new persona - I do know counselors that believe that though, and it always surprises me. I've very active in the Girl Scout program outside of camp, and Sarah is exactly the same as Fluke! For me, it's just something fun added into camp - same as campfire traditions and dining hall traditions. Sure, traditions change over time. Who knows, camp names might eventually be phased out as well. I'll still be going to camp though - doesn't matter what you call me!

#48601 12/20/04 02:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all, those of you that are bringing up the fact that this is an anonymous message board and we all have different handles than our real names here are missing the point of this entire conversation by a HUGE margain. To begin with, almost all of us here are staff members, not campers, and I seriously doubt that any of us are going to turn to faceless people we met on the message boards for serious advice. Meeting people at camp and meeting people on the internet are really quite different, I would think that's pretty obvious.

And I, like Gizmo, am not against camp (nick)names as long as a counselor will tell a camper their real name if the camper asks. If the camper knows your name is Bob and decides to call you Thunder instead, great. But that camper should at the LEAST know what your real name is so if they want to use it they can.

I'll post this question for a third time, and I am going to continue to keep posting it until I get a reply. What possible harm could come from telling a camper your real name if they ask?

#48602 12/20/04 02:33 PM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
Boomis... there is no real harm in telling the campers your real name. But, I think that if you decide to tell them your name, the entire staff should be willing to tell campers their real name. Let's say that I tell my campers my real name, but another counselor won't tell them her real name. This won't be good because campers would be like, "Teenster told me her real name!" and running around like crazy. Then the other campers would get jealous and it would snow ball. (I hope that made sense ;\) )

This actually did happen at my camp my first summer. One of the counselors told the campers her name. When other campers found out, they begged their counselors for their real name. This created fights between campers and also staff.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
#48603 12/20/04 05:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with you, and that just goes further to prove the issue at hand here. If ONE staff member decides to tell campers their real name (I would, for instance), it will just create fights and drama between campers and staff where none needs to exist. I dunno, in the grand scheme of things camp names just seem like they are more trouble than they are worth to me.

#48604 12/20/04 06:03 PM
900 to 1,000 posts
900 to 1,000 posts
There's been a bit of discussion earlier on about how a camp name let's you truely express yourself at camp, let's you *be* someone different. To that I say, why can't you be who you really are, regardless of the name? When someone goes to camp, they should feel able to let their true self out, and express themselves however they see fit.

I'm not AGAINST camp names, definitely not in favor of them either. I wouldn't ever take one, but can't hold them against anyone else, either. Camp names are just another tradition that many camps have. It just so happens that this tradition is one that is common to many camps across the country. I wouldn't ever get into an argument about the propper way to hold a closing campfire, or run an all-camp game -- there are diffent traditions at each camp, and each camp has its own traditions that have served it well.

#48605 12/20/04 06:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that some people won't fully understand the whole Girl Scout Camp name situation unless they have experienced it. I don't understand why it's such a touchy topic.

#48606 12/20/04 06:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Moon Shadow:
I think that some people won't fully understand the whole Girl Scout Camp name situation unless they have experienced it.
And I don't think that you can't be objective if you're at a camp with them.

#48607 12/20/04 06:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Moon Shadow:
I think that some people won't fully understand the whole Girl Scout Camp name situation unless they have experienced it. I don't understand why it's such a touchy topic.
I can understand it: it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and it's fun.

Please don't suggest we're incapable of discussing something because we haven't experienced it. It's like people telling me I have no business calling President Bush a douchebag because I'm not American.

I can just as easily claim you are brainwashed.

#48608 12/20/04 06:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by RidgeRocker:
I wouldn't ever get into an argument about the propper way to hold a closing campfire, or run an all-camp game -- there are diffent traditions at each camp, and each camp has its own traditions that have served it well.
Yes, you don't mess with camp tradition, it only results in bad things happening.

That being said: some traditions suck. And this particular tradition can also be damaging.

There is nothing wrong with camp names - just the mystery the surrounds it. On the first day, tell your kids that your name is Ashley and your camp name is Paris Hilton...is that so hard?

I've seen lots of arguments against camp names - but not a single good argument as to why it's a bad thing to tell campers your real name. Any of you girl scouts wanna give this a shot?

#48609 12/20/04 06:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
okay, camp names are camp names...if you don't like them or have some kind of issue aganist them don't go to a camp that uses them or if you are at a camp that uses them you have the choice not to use one. WOW, WHAT A THOUGHT!

oh, i was never "traumatized" by having counselors for all of my camper experence that didn't share their real names.

#48610 12/20/04 07:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by SweetPeaNW:
okay, camp names are camp names...if you don't like them or have some kind of issue aganist them don't go to a camp that uses them or if you are at a camp that uses them you have the choice not to use one. WOW, WHAT A THOUGHT!
That's like a southerner 150 years ago saying "if you don't like slavery, don't buy one". Just because it's a different camp that employs a certain tactic or practice, I am not prohibited from airing my concern.

Quote:

oh, i was never "traumatized" by having counselors for all of my camper experence that didn't share their real names.
Are people here that limited that they really think that just because they haven't been adversely affected by something then no one has?

#48611 12/20/04 08:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd just like to point out that Boomis, Northwoods, and me are all on the same page here. Does anyone else really have a chance in this debate?

#48612 12/20/04 10:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
comparing camp names to slavery...hmmm okay...whatever.

i wasn't looking for a fight about this, just trying to make a small point.

if anyone is being limiting, it is the folks that are dominating the post. i was just making a case about my personal experence, anyone can share their stories.

i am sure others, like myself would love to debate this topic...but i want to debate it with people that aren't so hard-core set in their ways.

whatever, attack me for my opinions, but i am not going to attack back.

#48613 12/20/04 11:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The issue is not camp names really, the issue is keeping your real name from the campers. If you want to claim that I am "set in my ways" because I believe it's a bad thing being dishonest with campers, feel free. I also know that camp names are SO rooted in tradition that folks here couldn't stop their camps from using them even if they wanted to. Heck, if I went to a camp that used camp names, I'd take one too, although I would make it a point to tell all my campers my real name on day one.

With that in mind, all I want to know is what I've wanted to know from the last posts; what harm could there be in introducing yourself using your real name and then telling campers your camp name if it is so important to you?

#48614 12/20/04 11:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
boomis to answer your question from my side...

i work at has camp names, it is just part of its history...but if the decided that we would start going by real names, i would be cool with that. i am not so set in my "pro-camp names" ways. i do it because it is part of the tradition at my camp, and i respect that tradition. if i change camps someday, i wouldn't only look at camp that use camp names.

#48615 12/20/04 11:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there isn't really much problem with telling a camper your real name. if a person wants to at my camp, they can go right ahead, although you're not allowed to tell other people's names, because it's not something for you to give away.

maybe it's just that I'm bad with names, but I still don't see how people going by a different name is evil. You are not lying about who you are, just what you call yourself. it shouldn't matter what you call yourself, as long as you are yourself.

#48616 12/21/04 12:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys keep attacking the camp names without telling us why you think that they are harmful. You just say that they are bad. For example:

Quote:
And this particular tradition can also be damaging.
 Quote:
I see a bunch of people who refuse to analyze the ramifications and impact of something.... Think about the bigger picture and examine this a little more intellectually.
How are camp names damaging? What ramifications? Tell us a little more intellectually!

And before making others prove why camp names are good, tell us your reasons why they are harmful.

Quote:
Let me put it this way: what harm can come from you telling your campers your real name?
 Quote:
WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME WHY CAMP NAMES ARE GOOD INSTEAD OF SPEWING THIS OTHER STUFF?
Why don't you tell why they are bad?

#48617 12/21/04 12:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by SweetPeaNW:
comparing camp names to slavery...hmmm okay...whatever.

i wasn't looking for a fight about this, just trying to make a small point.

if anyone is being limiting, it is the folks that are dominating the post. i was just making a case about my personal experence, anyone can share their stories.

i am sure others, like myself would love to debate this topic...but i want to debate it with people that aren't so hard-core set in their ways.

whatever, attack me for my opinions, but i am not going to attack back.
First off, Sweetpea, no one has attacked anyone. You're being dramatic.

Secondly, you may say that you'd like to debate but you're not debating at all. You're saying, essentially, it's tradition, don't go to this kind of camp, end of story. Those against camp names are raising points that they feel are legitimate. Those points have not been responded to. So until you respond to some legitimate points, I'm stuck believing that you have no interest in debating the issue. I like how you say that those against camp names are "set in our ways" but we're trying to raise legitimate issues and create real, deeper conversation. Yet the other side, that you seem to feel isn't set in it's way has only responded with "it's tradition", "this is the way that it is and if you don't like it, go somewhere else" or "if hasn't hurt me so it must be okay".

I'm not comparing camp names to slavery and I believe that you are smart enough to see that. I am saying, though, that the mentality that you presented, which was "if you don't like it, go somewhere else" is an extremenly passive mentality. It is one that tells others not to undertake an issue that they feel to be potentially harmful. It's like telling someone against slavery "if you don't like it, just don't own a slave.

#48618 12/21/04 12:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by TedRocks:
You guys keep attacking the camp names without telling us why you think that they are harmful. You just say that they are bad.
Ted, go back and read the entire thread. I've posted reasons why I feel that they are negative. Boomis has. Canuck has. If you want me to go over my points again, I will, but I feel that the first few posts that I made clearly said why I think that camp names are harmful.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard