Color war is an activity usually done at a camp that has long sessions. The camp is divided into two teams (two different colors) and the teams compete, usually for a week or so. Then points are added up, and there is a winner. At some camps (like mine) it's usually a big deal.

Color war is a lot of fun. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but I really do. The oldest campers do most of the planning, and they have already started. Not only does each team have a color at my camp, they also have a theme. The themes are usually movies or tv shows or something like that. The campers plan all sorts of things around their theme, including cheers and songs, they plan something called "sing" in which each team does little skits based on their themes. "Sing" is based in tradition, and every camper is involved in the process. Usually the team who wins "sing" wins color war.

The break is very important, not even the oldest campers know exactly when color war is going to break. The returning staff is usually in charge of break and clues. Usually a week or so before color war breaks, we plan clues (of when it's going to break) and we plan a couple of fake breaks. Last summer the break was "National Treasure." We set up a whole mystery thing and we even made an active volcano out of our climbing tower! It was really fun and cool, the campers had no idea when or how it was going to break.

Then the morning after the break, the campers find out their teams and start to wear their colors. Games start based on age groups. There is also a lot of time built in to help the younger campers learn the cheers and songs for "sing." Games include:
Basketball, Ultimate Frisbee, Softball, Volleyball, Soccer, Kickball, Swim Meet, Apache Relay, Bucket Brigade, All Camp Line Up, Chaos, Cheer competition... and many more.
Everything is based on age group. So the gold upper juniors will play the green upper juniors and so on. A younger camper will not compete against an older one.

These activities last for about a week... the last week of camp. It all ends with "sing" and the final fight. The final fight is a group of returning staff "fighting" and the winner of that, shows who wins color war.

That sounds really confusing... but it's a lot of fun. As I said, color war is based in tradition. So, if you're starting color war for the first time at your camp, you'll be starting one awesome tradition!

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident