I started working in camps back in 1999. I worked my way up to be a seasonal director over seeing the councilors and running day to day operations.

My question is why most camps do not have sales staff or event coordinators/sales.

It feels like many camps treat making money as a taboo topic. Even though money is needed to run the great summer programs many camp owners put low priority on making money.

When I ask about sales staff or event coordinators I hear that money is to tight to hire someone. I do not understand that point for two reasons.

1st If money is that tight you need a sales staff more than you need anything.

2nd You can put them on commission or a split commission and salary.

I think camps could take a lesson from the resort and hotel field. They have large sales staff that work on commission. Even small hotels will have a event coordinator/sales person. They sell the event and run the event. They get paid on commission from the event they sold and ran.

What dose everyone think about camps hiring a small staff of at least one persons who job is to sell events and get campers? Paying them on commission for both selling a event and each camper they sign up.

I would love to hear everyone's feed back.

A little background on who I am.

I have a college degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management with a focus on special events.
I am a award winning Realtor.
I started a a counselor after being a camper and worked my way up to being a director.