I had some beef about this subject summer '02.

Now let me first mention that I am NOT anti-feminism nor anti-women. That being said we had a girl who some would say is a (and I don't like the term much for a multitude of reasons, but to let you understand her) "fem-Nazi".

I don't work on girls side of camp and I must admit I am not up to date on everything that goes on over there, however I do know that they had a campfire song dating back to the beginning of our camp in 1924. The song originally went something like this: "She gets the highest marks in class by kissing the teachers..." to "She gets the highest marks in class by not sittin' on her..."

Now I understand that things and times have changed and such and that women should not need to kiss someones rear to get ahead. But come on its a camp song dating over 75 years. Isn't camp about tradition. True it is also about advancement, but by making the argument it is setting ladies behind is questionable.

Anyway, perhaps I was more bitter because the counselor that changed it was a 1st year counselor and hesitated to learn about camp tradition. Maybe I am being picky or close-minded but nevertheless thats my opinion.

We also changed our grace at the meal from one saying "We thank thee o' lord for this our daily bread" to "We are thankful for the food we are about to eat." Again, I can understand this, but I don't know, perhaps I am too much of a traditionalist. I don't like to change things that have been at camp for nearly a century unless of course they are detremental to a childs or staff members health (mental or physical).

What do you all think.